Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday America!

Happy 232nd birthday America! Granted, you gained your independence from my ancestors (remember, I’m an English Bulldog), but I was born and raised in the States so I’m celebrating too!

At least during the day that is, as I got to spend the day at my grandma and grandpa Richards’ house in Wabash, Ind. I got to take several tractor rides and even help Grandpa Gregg take down some trees with a back hoe. I might have got a little carried away when I got excited and bit into a tree, got my teeth stuck and had to have my mom pry my jaw loose. Hey, it happens!

Unfortunately, come nightfall, I won’t be doing much celebrating…I’m not a very big fan of the whole fireworks thing. I’m just starting to get a little better at ignoring the thunderstorms, but fireworks are still a little much for me. All of that whistling, popping, cracking and booming just makes me want to hide. So that’s pretty much what I’ll do.


Unfortunately back home, the neighbors behind my house think its fun to light fireworks off year-round and especially all summer long. What’s the big deal? Light a wick, watch it go into the air, explode, make smoke and annoy your neighbors. That’s some high-brow leisure activity right there. At any rate, I’m sure there won’t be too many evenings I’ll be able to enjoy at home over the next week.


I also want to give a warm congratulations to my grandma and grandpa Kaltenmark today as July 4, 2008 marks their 43rd wedding anniversary!

As I take a look back at the week I am still mourning the death of Uga VI, official mascot of the University of Georgia. It sounds like not only was he Georgia’s winningest mascot, but a very likable fella as well. I’m sure he’ll be missed. My condolences to the university and the Seiler family.

Speaking of dogs in the news, did you hear about Trouble Helmsley? I’m trying to get a date with her as her owner, the late Leona Helmsley left Trouble a reported $12 million in her will! You read that correctly…she left her dog $12 million.


That’s not all, per the New York Times, “Her instructions, specified in a two-page ‘mission statement,’ are that the entire trust, valued at $5 billion to $8 billion and amounting to virtually all her estate, be used for the care and welfare of dogs, according to two people who have seen the document and who described it on condition of anonymity.”

I’m not too proud. I’ll take some of that cash. Throw some toward BU and the ButlerRising Campaign, as well as add my own touches, such as a new bulldog sculpture or statue outside of the renovated Butler Bowl, to welcome people to the bowl.

The piece would not just be a symbol of the university mascot, but also a tribute to those of us who have served as mascot. Additionally, it would be a place where we could store the remains (read: ashes) of Butler’s previous mascots. (I know, it’s morbid, but you gotta plan ahead.)

The rest of the cash I would use for a new “Blue Mobile” to transport me around town and to work, as well as a buy golf cart to haul me around campus, and the rest I would pocket for future use. I’d say all of that counts toward the “welfare of dogs.” Call me, Trouble! Hit me up!

Moving on, I am excited to report that I am featured on a new, larger-than-life, cut-out in the HRC. Pictured below, the HRC staff uses it to post information and news regarding the HRC and it’s programming. It’s definitely eye-catching so I think it serves the purpose.


On Wednesday I again got to pose for pictures with one of the music camps on campus. That was fun. I always enjoy meeting the kids and making their visit to Butler a memorable one.

Finally, I did get to try that watermelon. Mom and dad picked up a mini-watermelon at the store and cut it in half for me to enjoy. I found it to be just okay. I didn’t really get after it like they hoped I would. In the end I think it just gave me really bad gas for two days.

Well, that’s about it for me. I hope you all have a great 4th of July and before you go and light off fireworks for two solid hours listening to Neil Diamond’s “Coming to America” on repeat, think about your neighborhood dogs and maybe limit the fireworks to just 60 minutes and the Neil Diamond to just once every 45 minutes or so.

Blue II

No comments: