Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bulldog + Beauty = Only at Butler

I was hoping to have this Homecoming recap up sooner, but it’s been quite a busy week for me and I’m not even done yet! Oh well, better late than never, and besides, I don’t even get paid to do this blog so if I’m late here and there, then so be it.

Well, Butler University Homecoming 2008 came and went and while it was a little bit cold outside, things stayed dry and everything else went exceptionally well, so I’ve got no complaints.

We got things kicked off Saturday morning on the main campus mall, outside of Jordan Hall with the Blue II Family Fun Fest. Besides lending my name to this event, I didn’t really have much to do with it. Basically it consists of face painting by clowns, blow up bounce houses, and more clowns constructing balloon creations. I’m not really into much of that stuff, but the kids seem to like it.

My real activity began at 10 a.m. for the ninth annual Bulldog Beauty Contest, presented by the Ovid Butler Society. Of course, I cannot compete in the contest given my title and stature on campus and in the community, so I play the role of “host dog.” Basically that means I strut my stuff on the runway prior to the judging and welcome the crowd. Then I let me dad take over with the emcee duties and I just sit back and watch. And by watch, I mean play with the bulldog puppies and snap at some of the adult bulldogs. Hey, it’s a territorial thing…I just want to make sure they know whose campus they are on and that there’s only one official mascot around here.

Anyway, the contest was great. As I mentioned last week, we had more than 70 dogs pre-register, which was a new record and while we had some no-shows the day of the event, we also had some late additions so it evened out nicely.

We had a total of nine rounds of competition and below are the categories and the respective winners. My congratulations to all of the winning dogs…

Cutest Bulldog: Wrigley, Owned by Sam Ford


Meanest Looking Bulldog: Mojo, Owned by Doug Welks


Best Wannabe Bulldog: Hector, Owned by Eric Fairbrother


Most butler Spirit: Hugo, Owned by Kearsten Casey


Best Dressed Bulldog: Panda Bear, Owned by Wendy Crawford


Best Trick: Abby w/ “the rollover,” Owned by Nancy Hardin


Oldest: Katie at a young 11 years, Owned by April Paulman


Youngest: Addison at just over 3 months and Owned by Sam Ford



Best in Show: Hugo, Owned by Kearsten Casey (great Butler outfit, Hugo!)


Again, a big hearty congratulations to our winners! Bravo! (and a big thanks to Maribeth Fischer for the photographs!)



Winners were selected by a panel of five distinguished judges and friends of mine. They are…

Mr. Bob Dearing ’57, Ovid Butler Society Executive Committee
Dr. Kurt Phillips ’92, Woodland Animal Hospital
Dr. A.J. Stump, Ovid Butler Society Executive Committee
Kim Netherland, City Dogs Grocery
Ryan Waggoner ’10 , Student Government Association President


All contestants received a gift bag with Holistic Select treats courtesy of Eagle Pack Pet Foods, Inc. as well as a gift certificate for use at Woodland Animal Hospital. On top of that, our category winners received dog toys and prizes from City Dogs Grocery and Meribeth Fischer.

We owe all of our sponsors a big THANK YOU for all of the great treats, prizes and other items. Our sponsors are…

Woodland Animal Hospital (Dr. Kurt Phillips)
City Dogs Grocery (Susan Smith…located at 49th and College Ave.)
Eagle Pack Pet Foods, Inc. (Liz Morken)
Firehouse Images (Terry Corman)
Ovid Butler Society
Maribeth Fischer

If you missed out on this contest, then you need to be there next year. When the 2009 Homecoming date is announced, go ahead and mark your calendar.

Of course, just writing about the contest and dropping a couple of pictures can only do so much. Perhaps some additional images would help. Thanks to Mr. Rick Miller of New Palestine, Ind. we have a great album of photos for you to view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20471995@N08/sets/72157608395935893/

After the contest, I was able to take a quick break before rejoining my dad and assuming our spot in an all original, silver 1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. Talk about a sweet ride…just imagine what it did for the value after a celebrity like me rode in it. You’re welcome.



I enjoyed the parade as a lot of people would yell my name as I hung out of the car. I was on display for all to see and I didn’t have to walk! Perfect. That’s a mascot’s dream!
Here's a quick video of it as well...




The parade route dumped us off at Hinkle Fieldhouse where I hung out in the Wildman Room before heading down to the tunnel to lead the football team out on the field prior to their game against the Eagles of Morehead State.



After being down 21-3 at half time, our Butler Bulldogs rallied to win the game by a score of 31-21 and to go to 6-1 on the season and 4-0 in the Pioneer Football League. The four league victories match Butler's PFL win total for the previous five seasons! Go Dawgs Go!

Following all of that, I went home and slept. My day was done. My dad had to go work a class reunion that night in Broadripple, but this old dog was officially off duty at that point.

Needless to say, I slept quite well. After all, it was a great day…clowns, bulldog beauty, a parade, a football win, alumni, students, families, cold beverages, warm beverages, good food, etc., etc., etc. It was a successful day and I’d like to think I had a little something to do with that. If you did, then I thank you for doing your part as well.

So Homecoming is now in the past, but that doesn’t mean my schedule has let up any. I’ll save all of that scoop for another post so that my dad can round all of that material up for me and get it ready for posting. Until then, have a very Happy Halloween!

Blue II

No comments: