Sunday, March 28, 2010

One More Lesson for the Final Four

So since my last post, I turned six years old, had the best birthday ever, earned a berth to the Final Four, made some television appearances, got my mug featured in The Indianapolis Star, etc., etc., etc.

It's all been overwhelming, surreal, hectic and most of all, FUN!

As you know by now the Butler University Bulldogs men's basketball team has won the West Regional Bracket of the NCAA Tournament and has boldly gone where no Butler Bulldogs have every gone before...The Final Four!

And if that wasn't enough, this year's Final Four is being held in our back yard; Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium!

Look, it's almost a fairy tale story...the only thing left is two more victories for it to include a fairy tale ending. And while I stated in The Indianapolis Star that my only birthday wish was to earn a berth to the Final Four, what I failed to mention that for each of my years on this earth, I wanted an NCAA tournament victory. Four down; two to go.

You don't need me to recite the story lines. Just a basic Google news search will yield a plethora of articles on journey back home to Indianapolis and what may lie ahead.

But when it comes to all of this stuff and me, well, I'm probably in a similar place as you...I'm looking for my way into Lucas Oil Stadium for Butler's matchup between the Michigan State Spartans at 6 p.m. (ET) on Saturday, April 3, 2010.

You see, it's been my understanding that the NCAA does not allow live mascots in tournament sites. Thus the reason I did not make the trek to San Jose, Calif, or Salt Lake City, Utah the past two weeks.

However, now that the Bulldogs have made it to the Final Four and it's in our own backyard, we've got a whole new ballgame! I'm looking for access!

The irony here is, when the NCAA announced that Indianapolis and Lucas Oil Stadium would be the 2010 host of the men's basketball Final Four, they asked host school, Butler University, to attend the press conference inside Lucas Oil Stadium and bring the cheerleaders and yours truly along for photo-opportunities.

So as far as being allowed inside Lucas Oil Stadium is concerned; been there done that. So in my opinion, it's now up to the NCAA to find it in their hearts to literally open doors for me.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Georgetown's bulldog, Jack, at the Final Four a few years ago.

Thankfully, I've got the Butler Nation on my side so I think the message will be delivered loud and clear. I've got university staff working on my behalf, but without solicitation, my good friend and Butler beat writer for The Indianapolis Star, David Woods, included it in his blog submission on Sunday.

You can read David's thoughts on the matter here: http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2010/03/ncaa_blog_17_let_blue_ii_appea.html.

I think David sums up well when he wrote, "What would it hurt if players pet Blue during introductions, and then Blue went charging across the floor to get his giant bone? That's good TV, folks." Thanks David!

So here's to hoping I find my way into the stadium for the game on Saturday.

As for ticket info, events, merchandise, make sure you follow me, my pal Hink, and Butler University on Twitter this week at the following locations:

www.Twitter.com/ButlerBlue2
www.Twitter.com/HinkTheBUDog
www.Twitter.com/ButlerU

It would also be in your best interest to checkout www.butlersports.com and www.butler.edu/alumni.

I've got tons of birthday stuff to share, but I'll save that for later...forgive me if I don't even get to it until next week, although I'll try put up a birthday re-cap this week.

What is more important right now is living in the moment. I hope all of our Bulldog alumni, students, faculty, staff, fans and even our newest members to the "Bulldog Nation" will show their patience, passion, and presence this week.

After reading back through my recent post which shared "What I've Learned" over the past six year's, I realized that left out an important lesson I learned recently from the likes of The Avett Brothers; a folk-rock type band that my pops listens to all the time.

The Avett Brother's song, "Murder in the City" ends with the lyric, "Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name."

In this case, that shared name is "Butler" and that love is "Butler love." It's running rampant these days and it's something that all of us Bulldogs should revel in.

A Final Four berth is precious, even for the most dominant of basketball programs, so enjoy every bit of the experience.

There truly has never been a better time to be a Butler Bulldog and fortunately for me, there's never been a better time to be THE Butler Bulldog. And as we get into the thick of the hoopla that comes along with appearing in the Final Four in your own hometown, just "remember there is nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name;" the Butler name.

Go Dawgs!


Blue II

1 comment:

CW5H2O said...

Go Dawgs!! Loving seeing Butler in the Final Four: this alum is definitely living in the moment. Good luck on Saturday Blue! :)