Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Case of the Missing Mascot...Costumes.

If you live in or around the central Indiana area, then chances are by now you've heard the APB put out for the mising Butler University Bulldog mascot costumes. In addition to the University's own announcement, the local media outlets have latched on to the story as well and ever since, my parent's phones have been ringing off the hook with calls and texts asking if I've gone missing. Below is a look at some of the media coverage...


http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPORTS0605/809090408



WTHR: http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8970750&nav=9Tai
http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8974236&nav=menu188_2

WISH: http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8974277&nav=menu35_5

Word on the street is Dave Smiley from the Smiley Morning Show, WZPL 99.5 is going to have my dad on air this Wednesday morning, Sept. 10, to discuss the matter and to clear up any misconceptions that I have gone missing.

Obviously, since I'm dictating this blog to my dad right now, I haven't gone missing, but the suits worn by my two-legged counterparts have seemingly walked off campus. So, the search is on for the specially designed suits.

I lent my support in an effort to quickly recover the costumes. In addition to offering my voice for the University announcement, I also threw in a bone as a part of the whopping $100 reward.

Seriously, $100 is all they could come up with? What is this, Bozo's Grand Prize Game? "You get a crisp $100 bill, a year's supply of Archway Cookies and a brand new 10-speed Schwinn bicycle." Seriously? I'm a dog and I realize that $100 and a bone leaves a little something to be desired.

It appears that AOL Sports agrees with my assesment: http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2008/09/09/butler-wants-its-bulldogs-back-cheaply/

Perhaps we really don't want them back? After all, they were getting a little rough around the edges and the smell that permeated the air around them wasn't exactly that of roses. Still, they are unique and a part of Butler's history so it would be nice to have them back.

The costumes are approx. nine years old, so they've lived a full life. My dad was one of the first to wear them as he was one of the men behind the mask when the university got them his sophomore year. Prior to that, my dad tells me they had a very old and crusty mascot costume that was actually designed by Disney.

Well, it looks like I'm going to be extra busy for a while since I'm the only mascot that Butler has at the moment. A new costume will take about 6-8 weeks to make and will cost well north of $10,000. Hopefully the university will act now so we can have the new costume by Homecoming on Oct. 25th.

Speaking of being extra busy, with all of the students back to campus and the classes in full swing, my social calendar has definitely picked up. Besides all of the additional love, attention and cat calls that I get when I go outside to take a walk or relieve myself, I have also been attending several receptions, social gatherings and athletic events. Last week I attended the first home volleyball game in a very hot and steamy Hinkle Fieldhouse and this weekend I will be hitting up the first home football game of the season as well.

In addition, to the game itself, Saturday will be a busy day for me. In the morning I'll be at Hinkle Fieldhouse to help kick off the Dick Lugar Run and to do a live TV appearance with WISH-TV. After that I'll hit up the annual Ovid Butler Society Gridiron Brunch which is a pre-game tailgate for OBS members. Then, once all of that is done, I'll run the undefeated Butler Bulldogs out to battle in the Butler Bowl to take on Franklin. By Saturday afternoon I'll be so exhausted that I will voluntarily be practicing my "dead dog" trick on the living room floor.

This past weekend my parents went off to Illinois for the final IndyCar Series race of the season, so of course I went to Wabash, Ind. to stay with my Grandma and Grandpa Kaltenmark. Staying at the grandparents is always fun b/c in addition to the extra attention, I also get to sleep in, go on walks and typically get plenty of ice cream. While I was there this time, my grandpa, the old college football player and long-time high school coach taught me some football fundamentals in preparation for Saturday and the rest of the season.

Granpa K. set up my teddy bear so that he was holding my football. Then he would set me up and taught me how to tackle through teddy to knock the ball loose. After that, he showed me how to pounce on the football to regain possession. I loved every second of it and I happen to think that I'm pretty good at it...like Bob Sanders (pictured below) good. My dad said that he'd try to get some video of it in the near future so you can see it for yourselves.

While my pops works to get my football prowess captured on film, this week we just have more video of me playing with my best friend, Kirby! That's right, Kirby has returned! You may remember that Kirby and his mom, Jessica Butler, had moved to Minnesota after Jessica graduated from Butler. Well, Kirby's mom has since joined the Indiana Pacers' staff and thus, Kirby has returned to Naptown!

As soon as he got in town, he stopped by campus to see me. Although, I think Kirby was more interested in checking out campus than playing with me, as you'll see in the video, but it's all good. I was just happy to have my friend back.

In Bulldog Beauty Contest news, we have 13 Bulldogs, one Boston Terrier and one Shih Tzu signed up so far for a total of 15 dogs. Last year we had over 60 dogs attend so we are well on our way. Susan Smith of City Dogs Grocery has been working with us and Eagle Pack Pet Foods to get some great participant prizes and giveaways all lined up as well. It shaping up to be a great event. Additional details are available in my previous blog post below. To sign up your dog, just email me at blue2@butler.edu.

Well, I think that's about all that I know for today. If there are any breaking developments in the case of the missing mascots, I'll be sure to post a new blog with additional details. Until then, keep your ear to the ground and if you stumble upon them, then notify the authorities!

Blue II

No comments: