Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Best in Show

The American Kennel Club recently released the Top 10 dog breeds. As it turns out, the Bulldog is the 10th most popular breed in the U.S. (This is big news people, check out the Thurs., Jan. 17th edition of ESPN's Sports Center as they even did a story on it...featuring yours truly...and a few other famous bullies. That's my second time on Sports Center in a week!)



http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/22670868/?GT1=10755&pg=11#tdy_Pets_breeds

(Google News Search)

I suppose it's nice to make the list, especially after a more than 70-year absence (last ranking 10th in 1935), but to get beat out by the Shih Tzu (No. 9)! C'mon! They can't be serious. I mean, just look at that thing. It's like a cat, a King Charles Spaniol and a mop got together and birthed this beast. Don't ask me which one actually gave birth to it.

I have a pair of cousin Shih Tzu's and I'm sure they'll never let me hear the end of this.

Anyway, if you're curious about the English Bulldog breed and our unique history, characteristics, etc., have a look here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldog

http://www.akc.org/breeds/bulldog/index.cfm

Did you know that the name of my breed was derived from our sole purpose...baiting bulls before they were sent to slaughter. It was thought that our baiting of bulls served to tenderize the bull meat, but it was also considered a form of "sport."

Thus, I consider my forefathers to be something of a cross between Russell Crowe as "Maximus" in Gladiator and Belmonte, the famous matador.


But, I suppose back then my owner might have been someone like Sam the Butcher from the Brady Bunch.

Oh well, I digress. After all these years, it's nice to be ranked again. I'd like to think I had a hand in that. Why not? How many Shih Tzu's you know with their own blog?!


P.S. This post has me thinking about my very own family tree/lineage. I'll share that with you sometime. Russell Crowe or not, I come from good stock and I've got the AKC paperwork to prove it.

No comments: