Friday, March 28, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Well, another birthday has come and gone and after four years, I’m now 28 years old. It’s true. Do the math. This is the one time that my dad and I will be the same age. In just a month or two, I’ll surpass him.

I must say that this has been the best birthday I’ve ever had since this was the first time that a university-wide party has been thrown in my honor. For my first birthday, we had a staff party down in the basement of Jordan Hall amongst the University Advancement staff and some friends, but since then, nothing formal has really been done until now. That first birthday part was fun…maybe a little too much fun….hence the video on www.youtube.com/butlerblue2 of me throwing up part of the cake I got. Oops. Too much of a good thing, I guess.

Thanks to the Butler University Student Foundation (BUSF) with some assistance from the Student Government Association (SGA), the first-ever Blue II Birthday Party was held on campus for all students, faculty and staff to join in. I’m biased, but I think it was a raving success! I didn’t even regurgitate anything this year either!

The party was from 11-1 and setup in Starbuck’s just off the bookstore in the one and only, Atherton Union. By 10:55 a.m. there was a line and I had not even made a grand entrance yet. By 12:30 p.m., all 480 cookies and 240 cupcakes were consumed. Luckily, SGA came in with back up supplying soda and other giveaways.

Congratulations to Nolan Yeakley for winning the “Guess Blue II’s Weight” contest. Nolan’s name was drawn from all the entries that correctly guessed my weight at 60 lbs. If you had your picture taken with me on the staff’s digital camera, please email jmjones@butler.edu to obtain a copy of that file.

I think there was a line the entire time for guests to get their picture with me. Many of them found out the hard way that if they are holding a cookie while trying to get their picture with me, I’m going to try and eat it. I am a dog, who acts on instinct, after all.

As advertised, there was a oversized card for guests to sign and there was the “pin the tail on the dawg” game as well. Here’s a little video for reference of all of the aforementioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svezCbvhonw

I also want to thank Stephanie Smith who brought me several gifts the other day, my best friend Kirby who brought me a basketball, Olivia who got me a bone, Anabelle who made me a card, everyone else that stopped by the party and/or got me a gift, and BUSF, SGA, and the Office of Alumni and Parent Programs for throwing me a party. You’ve all kept me very spoiled!

It means a lot to be appreciated like that. Everyone should be so lucky, at least once in their life. As far as dogs go, I’m one of the luckiest and it’s something I don’t take for granted, so I thanks to everyone for making a big to-do over my date of birth.

Also, I want to give a big shout-out to my Shih Tzu cousin, Murphy, in Columbus, Ohio who shares the same birthday with me…happy birthday Prince Murphy Alouicious!

In other news, the University of Tennessee Volunteers lost to the Louisville Cardinals last night in the NCAA tournament. You may remember the Volunteers knocked out the Bulldogs last Sunday in overtime. The Cards destroyed the Vols 79-60! Dude, they lost by 19 points…I want another shot at the title. Way to represent. (That’s sarcasm.)

Granted, the Cards are good, but are they that much better than Tennessee? I wouldn’t think so. I sure would like to see how the Bulldogs would fair against them. Oh well, it’s a moot point now.

What can I say? I’m still a bitter Bulldog after last Sunday’s defeat.

Thanks again to everyone for the great birthday! Let’s do it again next year. Have a great weekend, watch the IndyCar Series race on ESPN2 on Saturday night at 8:30 p.m. (EST) and be sure to stop and smell the roses…I always do!

Blue II

No comments: