Thursday, February 7, 2008

Front Page News...and second, and third pages too

This week's issue of The Butler Collegian, Est. 1886 (Vol. 122, Issue 16) has arrived on campus and just by looking at it, you would think it was the National Enquirer and I was Britney Spears!

I mean, I was all over that thing. You can find a nice color picture of me on the front page, along with large pictures of me on pages two AND three! Not to mention, there's an article about me and the blog on page two by Butler student and managing editor, Bob Hermon. The headline reads, "Butler Blue II rolls onto Internet with new blog." Nice!

Props to The Butler Collegian staff for the article and the face time. I suppose it's fitting that I am a staple in the school/student newspaper. Not just because I am the mascot, but it is The Collegian, after all, that is essentially responsible for me being here. Well, in a round-about sort of way.
According to http://www.butlersports.com/ and the university archives, prior to 1919, Butler's athletic teams were known as the "Christians". But numerous losses in the 1919 football season caused Butler's followers to grow weary of the nickname. During the week leading up to Butler's game with the heated rival Franklin "Baptists", Butler Collegian editor Alex Cavins and his staff, which included cartoonist George Dickson, decided something "hot" must be conceived for the school's weekly pep session.

About that time, the mascot of a Butler fraternity..... a bulldog named Shimmy (you couldn't shake him), wandered into the Collegian office. The idea was born. The next school paper came out with a big page-one cartoon showing Shimmy the bulldog, labeled "Butler", taking a bite out of the pants seat of a figure labeled John the Baptist. The caption was: "Bring on That Platter, Salome!" (Butler lost the game to Franklin, 14-0, but the name "Bulldogs stuck).

And what do ya know? It's another Paul Harvey (pictured) moment on the The Life and Times of Butler Blue II..."and know you know.......(long pause).......the rest of the story."
By the way, I'm guessing it's never good to reference a bulldog eating the head of a prominent Biblical figure served on a platter by the person who is considered to be responsible for that revered person's death. Uh, I'm guessing that's why we lost the game. Something to keep in mind, Collegian editors...let's stay away from the negative Biblical references come March...okay?

Anyway, back to the article...Dawg Pound president and senior, Loren Snyder was quoted in the story. He said about my blog, "It's pretty entertaining sometimes. It's just funny to imagine Blue II saying those things."

Oh yeah, Loren?! What's so funny? Next time I see you, I'll say them to your face! Then we'll see who's laughing! (just kidding)

Loren went on to ask, "What does Blue plan on doing with that huge bone every time he takes it off the court?"

That information is confidential and top secret. So much so that I don't know what I'm going to do with it. It's a big bone. It looks cool. I want it. It's kind of like going to the Dollar Store and walking out with stuff you'll never use or need. It was a dollar and it looked cool. 'Nuff said.

Finally, Loren says that his daughter and English Bulldog, Bella, has become "less demanding" since our first date and that he'd like for us to give it another shot. We'll see, Loren. We'll see.

Wow, look at the time! I had better get to my afternoon nap.

Until next time...


Blue II

No comments: