Friday, February 15, 2008

A Purple Valentine's Day

Well, another Valentine's Day has come and gone, but I must say, I think this has been the best Valentine's Day I've exeperienced in my young life. After all, the Butler Bulldogs defeated the Penguins of Youngstown State at Hinkle Fieldhouse last night to the tune of 89-73. A Butler game sounds like a perfect date to me!

However, it wasn't just the game, but what went on at the game that made this a great V-Day...and it all revolved around the color purple.

Of course, I know that the traditional Valentines colors are red and pink, but we took those colors, added a little Butler blue and made purple the color of the day in honor of Relay for Life's "Kiss Cancer Goodbye" campaign, which is intended to raise cancer awareness amongst the Butler community, as well as bring in funds for the American Cancer Society.

Purple shirts were sold, the students participated in events, and the "day of love" took even more meaning: fighting the cancer that affects the ones we love. I even did my part and wore a shirt to support the cause. That's me and one of my HRC buddies, Hannah Muehlbauer, sporting our purple.


Other than that, it was a standard V-Day. My dad served my mom breakfast in bed (Frosted Flakes) while I slept. Then I woke up to give mom her gift...a bulldog picture frame with dad and I in it, for her desk at work. I got it for her because she can't take me to work everyday like dad gets to, so I wanted her to have something to remember me by when she's there.

She's a physical therapist at St. Vincent's Hospital, which means she's rarely at her desk, but it's the thought that counts. Having a mom as a physical therapist is good, because sometimes those massage techniques she learned in school work their way into my backside.

I didnt' get my dad anything, because who gets their dad stuff on V-Day? It's pretty much Mother's Day part 2.

Other than that, it was business as usual for the day. Eat, sleep, bark, growl, yawn, back to sleep, then off to the basketball game.

Today, it's pretty much all rest for me so I can gear back up for tomorrow's game versus Cleveland State as well as the annual Alumni Day festivities. I can't wait...I love game days!

I hope to see you in Hinkle Fieldhouse for the big game tomorrow!

Much Love,

Blue II


P.S. The Bulldogs of Butler University send their prayers and support to the students, faculty, staff and members of the Northern Illinois University community.

No comments: